We shot a number of videos at NAB 2022 highlighting developments in 8K as well as videos at Cinemacon 2022 on projection/display developments. Here is a guide to them.
NAB 2022 News
- Netint has a co-processor for hardware encoding of AV1 streams up to 8K 4:2:0. They claimed that AV1 is not defined at 8K yet, but that is not true.
- We have reported on the UK BT Sport demo of 8K and we looked at the content in the Synamedia’s booth. The content was encoded with an AMD Epyc server processor with AI used to optimize the encoding.
- We summarized the 8K products that Blackmagic showed including its 12K camera and 8K recorder and its range of Teranex converters and production switchers.
- ETRI was showing MIMO ATSC 3.0 distribution to allow a doubling of the bandwidth in a single channel. They also showed a scalable demo for 8K distribution – learn more here.
- IO Industries demonstrated a miniature 8K SDI camera, the smallest around – connecting directly to 12GSDI.
- Leader was showing a new tester and waveform appliance that supports 8K.
- In the Atomos booth, Mavis was introducing live camera-to-cloud solutions. Currently with FullHD and H.264, but changing to H.265 soon.
- Bosma demonstrated its 8K B1 camera for broadcast that has a full-frame sensor and was tested at the Beijing Olympics. It has 8K/30 and 8K/60 versions
- AstroDesign set up a full 8K workflow. An unusual modified USB cable carries multiplexed 12G SDI in a single cable.
CinemaCon 2022 News
- Christie unveiled 4 new projectors – 2 Xenon and and 2 RGB laser models
- Cinionic talked about their new Xenon retrofit solutions and introduced two new laser phosphor models
- GDC was proudly showing off its own branded projector called Expedeo along with updates to its IMB and theater control and monitoring slutions
- NEC/Sharp showed updates in in-theater signage solutions and projectors for the auditorium.
- PixelWorks demonstrated the value of their Truecut motion grading solution with clips of a remastered scene from The Hobbit while announcing a new partnership for theatrical.
-Chris Chinnock, Insight Media